3 Signs Your Home May Be At Risk For An Electrical Fire

21 February 2017
 Categories: , Blog

Share

If you're like many people, you probably turn on lights and use electricity daily in your home without spending much time thinking about the wiring in your home. Unfortunately, faulty wiring or other electrical problems can cause an electrical fire that can be very dangerous for your family, as well as the structure of your house. Luckily, there are often signs that there are electrical problems before an electrical fire. If you notice any of the following signs, contact an electrician immediately:

Flickering or Randomly Dimming Lights

When your home's electrical wiring is in good condition, none of the lights in your home should dim or flicker. But when wiring has become faulty, arcing may happen. Arcing is when there is a problem with an electrical circuit, and the electrical current essentially jumps over the gap in the wiring. When arcing occurs, it is usually accompanied by sparks and high heat. Flickering or dimming lights in your home typically mean that there is an issue with the electrical wiring in a room-- never ignore random flickering or dimming lights. Prompt repairs by a licensed electrician are needed to prevent a potential electrical fire.

Frequent Tripped Circuit Breakers and Blown Fuses

Your home's electrical panel is designed to ensure that electricity flows properly to different areas of your house without any problems. When circuit breakers start tripping and you discover blown fuses, it can often mean that too much electricity is flowing through the wires due to faulty wiring. An occasional tripped circuit breaker isn't necessarily a cause for concern, but if you experience regular problems with tripped circuit breakers, hiring an electrician is essential. Short circuits can cause arcing, and depending on the circumstances, an electrical fire may not be far behind.

Problems with Electrical Outlets

Outlets in your home that you use every day can help you discover if your home is at risk for an electrical fire. If an outlet is overloaded by too large of an electrical current, a fire can happen. This may occur if using an extension wire and plugging in too many electrical devices. Common signs that there may be an electrical problem with an outlet include heat emitting from the outlet, or a smell of burning of burning wires. The smell of electrical burning tends to be quite unique, so never ignore the smells that may be coming out of any of the outlets in your home.