There's A Short In The System: 4 Signs You Need An Electrician Right Away

2 April 2018
 Categories: , Blog

Share

If you've got electrical problems in your home, you need to call an electrician immediately. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to identify electrical problems, which means you might not know about the issue until it's too late. Luckily, your electrical system does have a way of letting you know when there's a problem to be dealt with. You just need to know what you're looking for. Here are four signs that you need an electrician right away.

Your Lights are Dimming

If your lights have started dimming on their own, chances are good that you've got a wiring problem somewhere in your home. Most people know to contact an electrician when their lights start flickering, but they don't know that dimming can also be a sign of electrical problems. If your lights are dimming, try changing the light bulbs. If the problem continues, contact an electrician.

Your Switch Plate is Hot

You probably know to watch for hot or burnt outlets, but you might not know that your switch plate covers can also get hot. If they do, you've got an electrical hazard in that area. Hot switch plates are a sign that the wiring is overheating in that area. If the problem continues, you could end up with an electrical fire behind the switch plate.

Your Outlet is Buzzing

As stated above, a burnt or hot outlet is a sure sign that there's an electrical issue. However, buzzing can be another indication of an electrical problem. Your wiring should never buzz. If it does, it means that there's a short in the circuitry. If you're hearing a buzzing sound coming from your outlets, unplug all the cords from them, and stop using those outlets until an electrician can inspect them. It's a good idea to place outlet covers on them to keep them from being used until they can be repaired or replaced.

Your Breaker Box is Sparking

If your breaker box is sparking, you've got a serious problem. Your breaker box should never spark. If it is, it means your system is overloaded, or the wiring has been damaged. To prevent an electrical fire, stop using your electricity, and contact an electrician immediately. A sparking breaker box is nothing to mess with.

Don't take chances with the electrical wiring in your home. If you've encountered any of the problems described above, you need to contact a residential electrician for immediate assistance.